Friday, May 16, 2014

"Trust"

This morning was a start to a rough day, but it did have a fun ending. When we got to school the children weren't in class because community members, children, and the professors were getting ready for the celebration tomorrow. As our contribution, we are providing the pig for the community meal, so the professors were prepping everything for the pig.

(The pig)

(Children watching the event)

(Luis being gross)

The children were all gathered around when they were going to kill the pig. They invited me to participate in the activities, but just being there was all I could do. I have seen animals being slaughtered, but this was so difficult. I had to walk away and go on a walk with Mary. People just do things differently and you need to just trust in their culture. Trust is exactly what I did - Trust that they knew what they were doing and walk away. I am thankful for all of the community members who are helping to make our feast for the celebration.

(My new friend Cristian and his dog)

(Little guy just wanted to be held)

(Mr. Cow Mary and I met on our walk)

After this event, the children were all rowdy and it was hard to get our lesson plan done. We made paper dice with the children and then were were suppose to do a Math lesson. It was hard enough just getting them to color the dice and put them together. We finally got the dice made and I let the kids go to recess. I had some students stay back who wanted to learn more.

(Dice making craziness)

In addition to learning, these kids love painting. I took out a box of crayons and drew them Ohio State phrases to color in and paint. I have already described what a buckeye is but I was struggling so hard when I had to tell Segundo what they were coloring lol. I also brought my iHome with me, so we turned up the music and cleaned the classroom while the kids were dancing and painting. Jen also delivered a talk to the teachers at the Cordero school on teaching practices.

(OSU stuff)

(Jen discussing teaching pedagogies)

When we got back, we had a discussion on Latin American migration with a professor from the university. I took a Latin American migration course in undergrad and it was very interesting to get a different perspective from someone who has experienced and lived through migration.

(Migration discussion)

At night I went to a disco tech with Sam and our friend Gabbi from the university, It was AWESOME. It was called "La discoteca Space" the taxi driver was like Avion? Yeah sure... its the plane? This dance club legitimately had a plane in the middle of it and the drinks were free until 11. People go out early here so 11pm is really late. For all of my OSU friends- Its 100x crazier and better than Charley Bear (I know CBear sucks but this place was insane)

(Chillin by the plane)

It was definitely a much needed night out. I am very excited for the community celebration. It is so wonderful that a community wants to celebrate our partnership and share some of their life with us. This partnership's foundation is trust and I hope trust carries us into the future, to greater things.


No comments:

Post a Comment