Sunday, May 11, 2014

"The Life of Flowers"

The Life of Flowers: Sunflowers can bring hope

Today is a special day in Ecuador - Feliz dia de Madre (Mother's Day). I woke up early this morning and went into the centre around 7:30 am. It was quiet and just beginning to come to life. All of the vendors were opening up their shops and the market was just waking up. I went into the city to go to campos de flores or the square with all of the flower vendors. Ecuador's largest export are flowers, specifically roses to the US. I walked around the vendors to find the perfect type of flowers. I got my mom's favorite types of flowers - Flores de sun, and pink day lilies.

(In front of the Cathedral)

I could not have asked for a better morning. I picked out the flowers I wanted from a  elderly woman's stand. I wanted to make sure that I did not come home with a gigantic bouquet because I did not want to show up my host dad Fernando, or her daughter. I asked for 4 sunflowers and 3 lilies. The elderly woman asked me if I was buying these flowers to propose to my girlfriend - like really? This is about the 5th time I've been asked if I am married. #single4life. All comedy aside, this woman was so inspiring.

(Mi madre este manana)

She invited me to sit in her seat as she made my bouquet. My initial thoughts - crap, I need to be back home at 8:30 and I literally am not awake enough to think in Spanish. She asked me where I was from, because I obviously stick out like a sore thumb. She also asked me where I lived and why I was in Cuenca. After this exchange, I asked her what she was planning on doing for Mother's Day. She explained that she was going to stay in the square until all of her flowers were sold because she had to support her family. Her daughter was killed in a car accident and she was caring for her 5 grandchildren. She told me that she gets up everyday at 4 am to cut fresh flowers, milk the cow, and collect eggs for the children's breakfast. She said that the oldest grandson cooks the food for the other children as she leaves to make the trek to the Cuenca centre. She walks a hour to a hour and half each way with the flowers wrapped in a blanket on her back. She said that her family gives her joy and they are worth the sacrifice.

(Overlooking the city)

(The main clock tower in the centre)

The Ecuadorian people never cease to amaze me. They have a work ethic and dedication to relationships and their families that is unrivaled. I am so grateful to be surrounded by this culture.

(Welcome presentation)

After this experience, we headed to Saraguro, which is a community located 2 hours up into the mountains surrounding Cuenca. We visited La Fundacion Kawsay, which is a cooperative that is comprised of 7 communities. The city is a little smaller than Ohio State and completely self-sufficient. They have developed a tourism industry to alleviate the poverty in their city.

(The view from the foundation)

We had a delicious traditional meal from the community. We had a decadent bean and pasta soup, cooked potatoes, cheese, and beans. I cut all of my food up and mixed it all together. Muy Rica! We learned about their traditional dress, listened to men playing their instruments during lunch, and went through their market.

(Traditional lunch)



(Food and live music)

(path up to lunch)

(our guide for the day)

(Church in the center of Saraguro)

(Inka statue)

I am simply in awe by my environment. Everywhere I look is a picture worthy view. The only problem is since it is winter here, there has been excessive rain and the lowland valleys that we drove through are flooded. Our guide told us to not be alarmed if we saw livestock caught in the current. Luckily, this wasn't the case but many fields are completely submerged. The people are resilient and will press on.

(Flooding in the lowlands)

I will always remember my morning discussion with the hard working mother, constantly remaining positive in the face of adversity. Sunflowers can bring hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment