Friday, May 9, 2014

Ay dios mio Justin!!

Ay dios mio Justin! No te preocupes.

Today was another crazy and wonderful day in paradise. I apologize now for my spelling errors - my brain has switched to Spanish and I am having a hard time typing and speaking in English. I guess this is a good thing right? I am excited to be able to speak and kind of speak well. Andrew and I taught the first graders again today. The students painted a sol today and we talked about their art from the day before. Andrew and I stepped up our "lesson plan" today and taught students colors, fruits and greetings. I wrote all the phrases on the board and had the class repeat them. Thank god for high school Spanish! These students are little sponges, they get everything so fast and only want to learn more.

(Me helping Alex with his spelling)

(Luis being a boss in a Winnie the Pooh sweatshirt and white dress shirt)

The students went to recess after they finished their paintings and wrote the correct phrase on their papers. I am used to going to the gym in the morning in the states but the students recess was more than a workout for me. Damn, I'm getting old. Segundo, the main teacher had me lead the activities with one of the other students. Luis, the student leading with me, tried to show me up in push-ups. Thank god, I can at least do ten. He was trying to out do me. Ah los ninos.

(Getting our sweat on)



(Leading class with Luis)

We participated in activities with the students and then we instructed the students on some activities. When was the last time I was in a first grade gym class or a gym class in general?? Like I had no idea what I was doing. I turned the OH - IO chant into a gym exercise. GO BUCKS!

After their exercises, we played different games with them. We played their version of sharks and minnows. Boy that was interesting to translate into Spanish. I played Simon Dice... I literally only know some body parts and some commands, it was hilarious.

Andrew and I just sat in the arena, where they play soccer and have a pavilion. The students loved Candy Crush and wanted to see all of my pictures and videos on my phone. There is one student Luis who always wants to play and is definitely the popular boy in class. He is such a boss. He dressed up for Andrew and I today. Ah mi chico pequeno.

(Outdoor pavilion)


(Andrew with our class)

We went on a walk after lunch. The Cordero school is located in a mountain valley, about one hour up into the mountains. The school has around 100 children. There are houses all over the hills. The school over looks a pasture and has beautiful views.

(View from the school)

(Afternoon stroll)


(Hillside from our walk)

I took a nap on the bus ride home. Those first graders took all of my energy. Rachel, Mary, Torrie and I went through the market and made friends with a shop owner, Jose Orellio. He gives me great deals on everything (like I need to buy anything else).

(Torrie was more tired than me... SELFIE)

Tonight I am going out with our friends from Universidad de Cuenca. I think we are going to a salsa bar? Who knows it sounds fun!
(Cheers for a job well done - wait this Fanta is AMAZING)

I am so thankful for this partnership. I am so surprised that the professors at the school put so much trust in all of us. Segundo just lets me teach whatever I want to his students. I am so blessed to have this opportunity. I am still working on my Spanish but my first graders are helping me. Luis is very helpful, although I definitely frustrate him. I will get better but until then, in the words of my 7 year old first grader, "Ay dios mio Justin! No te preculpes!"

(Me and Segundo, my professor mentor)
Why are your eyes closed dude? Que Paso!


Hasta luego!

2 comments: