Wednesday, May 14, 2014

"Believe"

When we arrived at school today, Luis, Fernando, Oscar and Marco were all waiting for us at the steps  of the school. When the bus arrived, the boys ran up to greet us at the door. It was such a warm welcome, but I feel bad for when we don't return in two weeks. Today Segundo handed me a tissue paper flower and a handful of cut tissue paper. Like what? What am I suppose to do with all of this? The kids were making tissue paper roses for their mothers for the celebration on Friday. Thank God, Taylor joined Andrew and I. The kids were crazy. Of course Diana, our star student, was already done with her rose, but the students could not make the roses without our help. It took forever to make all the kids roses. Some of the kids got angry and were not patient. Props to any second and first grade teacher out there, I could not do this long term. I love every moment but it's stressful.

(Diana making a rockstar rose for her mom)

(Fernando's rose after he destroyed the first one)

Sarah, Santi, Andrew, and I took a break and went on a walk around the school. I needed some fresh air after all the screaming kids covered in glue and tissue paper.  LOL. It was really funny because we found a mama sheep and her baby tied up next to the school. After this we realized that we were getting sunburned, so we quickly went back inside. We were suppose to present on indigenous groups in the US to our students but half of the class ran out into the field after Segundo. I have no idea what was going on but I let it happen.

(Mama and baby sheep - I could only think of the goat video with Taylor Swift)
(Look it up if you haven't seen it, haha!)

We went on a hike with the older children and Cristian. It was a really long hike but yet again we had amazing views and some more bonding time with the children. The girls in my first and second grade classes decided to join us. They are really clingy. I can deal with children for 5 hours straight but having them hanging all over me for longer than that is enough. I know... Justin how are you going to be a dad? I'll be a damn good uncle and give the kids back at the end of the day.

(I pawned Blanca off on Sam, haha. He loves small children, JOKES)

(Andrew and Karina taking a break during our hike today)

(Students from my class - Diana, Katrina and Wendy)

We learned about holistic medicine, and spiritual cleansing this afternoon. Some women from the community and two of the other teachers lead the discussion on holistic medicine. This is where my medical anthropology came into play. I loved everything. They told us how they cure arthritis, headaches, other ailments, and how to cleanse your soul. They offered for 6 of us to have our soul cleansed. Of course, I was first to volunteer. Pretty sure I probably needed it. It was definitely interesting but hey I take it. Next Tuesday they are taking us up to their sacred ceremony location to help us with holistic medicine. I am very excited about this.

(Andean medicine)



(Getting my soul cleansed)

Today the ceremony was meant to expel any bad energy back into the universe. The ceremony cures the metaphysical being and prevents bad things from occurring to someone. Cristian said that once your soul is pure then your body can begin to cure any physical aliments. Mind and body are one. We need to also believe in holistic medicine and Mother Nature. Believe and we can be one.


(Believe)

No comments:

Post a Comment