Friday, May 23, 2014

"Education is the future"


The last two days have been interesting, challenging, and fun at the school. On Monday when we arrived at the school, my students presented me with a puppy. Now I love puppies just as much as anyone else, but this was a really tiny baby puppy. My students know that I love animals because my cell phone background is my dog Brandi, but this puppy had to go. I finally figured out that they stole this pup from its mom, who lives at the house next to the school. Try and convince first and second graders to tell you where they got a puppy from - they definitely didn't want to give it back.

I soon realized that we would not have a teacher. The faculty had a day long meeting and it is totally normal for students to work by themselves here, completely opposite from the States. We made Ecuadorian flags with the second graders and explained the significance of the designs and colors of the United States flag. As this was going on, I was trying to figure out what to teach the first graders. They had workbooks, so I had the students practice drawing pictures that corresponded to a letter of the alphabet. After we worked on the alphabet, the students and I worked on English phrases. The students headed to recess and we headed home after lunch.

(Diana and Jenessia with their flags)

(Andrew describing the flag)

(My first graders)

The following day the students did not have class because the faculty and older students took us up to their sacred hill. I use hill loosely, lets be serious, it was a freaking mountain! After hiking through Las Cajas, I figured I wouldn't have a hard time, but this was at a incline the entire time and the paths were very muddy.

Once we were at the top, the views were phenomenal. The community people travel up to this hill to have religious ceremonies and perform various rituals. We descended from the hill and played games in a pasture with the older students who traveled with us. We were at the top of the mountain so we could see all of the other small villages.

(The pasture right before the peak)

(Sam, Gabbi, and I taking a break)

(View along the way)

(Sitting on the monument at the peak)

(The view from my lunch spot at the top)



The climb took about 2 to 2.5 hours, but the way back only took about an hour. To liven things up, I pulled out my ihome and we had a dance party all the way down the mountain. Note to self - dance parties give you infinite energy, even if it's raining. I was so tired, and napped much of the bus ride home.

When we got back I headed into the city. I am pretty confident in my directional skills in Cuenca. I can find my bearings in most of the neighborhoods. I was in search of a store called Galapagos because they are the only other store besides the post office that has the Ecuadorian seal that certifies international mail. People in Ecuador do not use the post regularly. I got lost trying to find this store but it was a nice adventure because I was able to see more of the colonial neighborhoods.

(Views on my way home)

(Home base since we have been here)

After today we only have one day left with our partners in Cahuazhun Grande. I think that I am really reflecting on what it means to host a cultural exchange. At what point does one party give more than the other, and to what extent does one give up the power in the relationship? I feel that the community has given us a lot in terms of cultural gestures and performances, but I'm not sure how much we have given them. I think that us physically being at the school is giving the students a lot. Many of these students have the choice to stop their education after they finish at our school. It is my hope that we have inspired these students to continue their education. One of my students said that he wanted to be able to come back and help his school one day. He said that he wants to attend college and become a teacher. His mother told him that education is the way to his future. Even though we are from different cultures, countries, and speak different languages, the one similarity is that we both believe: La educaciĆ³n es el futuro.

(Cheers to good ole O-H-I-O!)

No comments:

Post a Comment