Monday, May 19, 2014

"Reflection time"

This weekend we had more free time relax and explore. I definitely explored more than relaxed because I want to make the most of my time here. On Saturday we went to the Social Circus which is a program created by the government to provide children and teens confidence. The directors of Cirque du Soleil believe that empowerment programs such as this give the children a chance to laugh and gain selfworth. There were over 120 children affilated with this program.


(Large performance space)

The children and young adult volunteers did an icebreaker with us and we went around and introduced ourselves so everyone felt comfortable. After this we broke into two groups and they taught us some basic circus techniques like juggling, diablo sticks, plate spinning and some other activities. After learning some of these low risk activities, they brought out the fabric, that was hung from the ceiling. If you saw the Grammy's this year, it is what Pink does when she performs. They taught us the proper methods of climbing and desending. MAN THIS WAS HARD!

(Positions we could have done - JOKES)

(Sam made it to the top!)

One of my goals of this trip is to try and experience anything that is presented - within reason. So I attempted to climb the fabric. Mistake - it was super hard but also kind of fun. Next they taught us special formations or moves that can be done on the fabric. It took all the energy and strength I had in my core to do one of the moves. My body hurt in so many random places but it was so worth it!

After practice, we watched a rehersal of their show that will begin May 30th. It was so great seeing young children exhude confidence and skill in these activities. You could tell they were having so much fun with each other, while learning teamwork and confidence.

(Practice)

When we finished at the Social Circus, a few of us went out to lunch and chose to walk around the city. We had a fantastic lunch at Raymipampa. I had a traditional plate of pork, rice, vegitables, sausage, and some other things. I am so over rice because it comes with every dish.


We went into Casa de Mujer, which is an artisan market. I bought myself a piece of art that I have had my eye on since the first day. It is a painting of the New Church of the main square. It is the largest church in the city and is beautiful inside and out. It had massive turquoise doors on all sides, a two story gold alter inside and the collums are made of rose marble. I wish we had history like this in the States. While it is the youngest of the Cathedrals it is one of the most decorated in the city.




That night we went to a place called Indigo bar with a lot of the group and some friends from the university. It was perfect mix of everything. The drinks we cheap, the people were wonderful and we had so much fun.

On Sunday we went to Cajas National park. It was a beautiful park that has plenty of wildlife, breath taking views, mud and clouds. We were in a cloud the majority of the time because El Cajas reaches up 14,000 feet. This was the first time that I truly felt the altitude.


(The group who went on the hike)

(Sam and I at the entrance of the trail)

(I hung in the back of the group to take photos)


Everywhere you looked, you would see a stunning view. We joked and said that we felt like we were in Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Lion King at certain times. We started the hike off easy, went throught the "forbidden forest" then hiked around all the glacier lagoons. I was out of breathe but loved every second of it. Hiking is my kind of activity.


(Forbidden forest)




(Almost to the top)



Moses, was our tour guide and he was so welcoming and funny. He told us jokes in english and spanish, while educatining us on the wildlife around us. It was awesome to see eagles flying abouve us at multiple times. He took us to a traditional Ecuadorian place to eat lunch. I had trout for the first time and I actually liked it - I'm definitely not a big fish fan. After the day long hike, I relaxed and got ice cream with Marissa.

This weekend definitely helped me appreciate the things and opprtunity I have in the States. Going to Cajas made me appreciate nature even more than I already do. It was so inspiring to be in such an untouched environment. Although I am on a service-learning trip, it is definitely ok to take some needed personal reflection time.

(Sam made this - BEST PICTURE EVER)

No comments:

Post a Comment