Sunday, May 18, 2014

"Food is Love"

So the last few days have been very busy! We are leaving Cuenca on Thursday and traveling back to Quito, but we will be driving and stopping at a few places along the way. It is crazy how the time has passed so quickly. This experience still amazes me each and every day.

Friday was the Pompa Mesa, which was a celebration of our partnership combined with a Mother's Day fiesta. Rumi invited over 200 people to the school from the community. We arrived and immediately started helping prepare some of the meals. We were preparing a feast to feed the entire community. I helped stir the pork mixed with other things and I helped rotate the "Cuy" or Guinea pigs. Guinea Pigs are a delicacy here - NO THANKS.

(Preparing the Cuy)

(This girl represents my initial feelings towards the food)

(Me cooking the pig)

The ceremony/presentation/fiesta started with a dance off, of the mothers from the community. Each of the mothers had to find a partner and naturally I was selected first. #embarrassing. Whoever won this contest was the "godmother" or received the top honor at the celebration.Who do you think won? Definitely my mother/ dance partner duh! LOL We were tearing it up in the school yard. She received a gift, a sash and a front row seat to watch all the presentations.

(My dance partner)

Each class and grade presented something to the community. My students read a sentence about their mothers and family. The other students did traditional dances and presented their classes to the community. The dances were very beautiful and their clothing was very colorful. It was one of the most unique things that I have ever been a part of - most of the students involved us in their dances as well.

(My class presenting)

During the program we also had games. There was a pop chugging contest, a egg race, some awkward card passing game, and a game that required you to dance while balancing a tomato between you and your partner. Mary and I should have won this game because none of the other contestants were actually dancing. Whatever, it was fun, winners at heart.

(Sam dominating the competition) 



(Egg race)

(Awkward card game)

(Tomato balancing)

So part of this program is a cultural exchange. The community sang songs and performed dances for us, so we did the same in return. We showed them the electric slide, chicken dance, and hokey pokey. The wobble was voted out... so much shade. And for the record, I've never felt more embarrassed than doing the hokey pokey in front of a community. No thanks byeee.

(Cultural dances)

(Older students performing)

We ate the food after the ceremony. We were the first to eat. Now - I usually have a stomach made of steel and don't get queasy at the site of food, BUT, when they gave me a piece of guinea pig, I turned it over and the heart, lungs and other insides spilled out onto my bowl. NOPE. That was nasty. I politely and discreetly knocked the guinea pig out of my bowl onto the ground for the dogs. I did try the meat, but it just wasn't my thing. The second course/round of food was the pig and other vegetables. I took two bites to be polite and then gave it to one of my students families.

This was probably the most authentic food I have ever tried. It was amazing how food, and cooking can build relationships and bring an entire community together. Everyone had a part and contributed to the day in some manner. Food is culture. Food is community. Food is identity. Food is love.


1 comment:

  1. "Food is culture. Food is community. Food is identity. Food is love." Great way to sum it all up! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete